Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Staying Safe in the Classic City


(Above): Before class, two self-defense students warm up at the
American Black Belt Academy.
(Below): Randy McElwee, Director of the American Black Belt Academy, works
at the front desk after teaching his afternoon self-defense class.





By Lauren Ellison



With football season beginning, the issue of public safety in Athens can be overshadowed by the frenzy of red-and-black-clad fans barking and chanting on Saturday afternoons.



Georgia Bureau of Investigation confirms that in 2007, Clarke County’s murder rate was 7 times greater than the neighboring Oconee County. The same report states that Clarke County’s rate of forcible rape was 39 times greater than in Oconee County.


Georgia State Patrol Officer Larry Seabolt believes students are aware of potential risks but worries that they would be unprepared in the event of an attack.


“Students tend to think they are invincible,” Seabolt said. “They know there are dangers, yet they assume things like that only happen to ‘other people.’ They think, ‘Oh, that won’t happen to me.’”


Seabolt advises students to educate themselves on safety techniques before an emergency actually occurs.


“Students just need to be aware of their surroundings,” Seabolt said. “Being afraid won’t solve anything, but knowledge of self-defense and emergency contact numbers is what can save you in the event of an assault.”


Nina Herrington, an Athens mother and homemaker, has a daughter who attends the University of Georgia. Herrington, 49, shudders at the thought of her daughter being a target of assault, but she still has faith in the Athens community.


“I would not describe Athens as ‘more dangerous,’ despite the statistics,” Herrington says. “I think Athens is overall a rather safe town, but it is more vulnerable because it is a college town with a large student population.”


Herrington worries when she sees students who have had too much to drink walking down Lumpkin Street at 2 a.m.


“I see kids stumbling on the side of a barely-lit road, clearly unconcerned about possible predators,” she said. “I can’t help but think about their parents, because it terrifies me to think that one of them could be my daughter.”


Lauren Ploch, a Memphis native and third-year law student at the University of Georgia, is conscious of the risks of walking alone at night. Ploch believes this to be a dangerous situation in all college towns, not just Athens.


“When I was an undergraduate in Nashville, a large man chased me through a parking garage when I was alone one night,” Ploch said. “Luckily I escaped, but ever since that moment I recognize that I could have been a victim. Now I am much more alert when I’m alone, but I think things like this happen everywhere.”


Ploch, 24, considers knowledge of self-defense to be crucial to a woman’s safety. “If a woman is being attacked by a man, the man will naturally be much stronger,” Ploch said. “A woman's realistic chance of escape comes from using her mind and being educated about how to get herself out of the situation.”


Randy McElwee, Director of Athens’ American Black Belt Academy, takes a pragmatic approach regarding student safety.


“College kids are going to go out and do what kids do; it’s impractical to believe anything otherwise,” McElwee said. “So we teach our students techniques that will prepare them for any attack situation.”


McElwee prefers training his students to use their own strength to avoid attacks rather than rely on pepper spray, which could backfire if not used properly.




“The best part about our method? What we teach you here passes airport security every time,” McElwee added with a grin.


The American Black Belt Academy, located at 10 Huntington Road, offers free self-defense classes Thursdays at 5 p.m. during September.


In an emergency, call 911.


For a free, safe ride home Thursday through Saturday 10p.m. to 3a.m. contact Watchdawgs at 706-369-6601.
If you have been a victim of sexual assault, call the Sexual Assault Referral Service at 706-542-7233.




Edited by Lauren Mitchell

2 comments:

  1. Nice clarity fix in the lead. Good range of sources, and good job getting a state trooper. The statistics are still troubling. It's not fair to compare an urban college town with a rural bedroom community. Crime happens everywhere, so a story about safety is appropriate for any community. But you have to work harder if you're trying to show that Athens is an unusually dangerous place. I'm not sure that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job getting photos with the story. Tighten your framing to get closer in on faces, and make sure you ID all your people.

    ReplyDelete