By Nancy Larksukthom
Q: When did you start meditating and why?
A: I started meditating when I was 18 and I did it because of well, there are obvious benefits such as enlightenment and reduction of stress and enhancement of concentration and perception. I found it useful to be able to relax my mind and it sounds simple but it’s not easy.
Q: The benefits sound really great. What advice would you give for beginners?
A: I would say inform yourself of various traditions and don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Start with your eyes open and breathe.
Q: When you are sitting and breathing, are there thoughts that cross your mind? How long do you meditate?
A: Well, thoughts come and go. I like to use the word, Mu- it’s a traditional Chinese word meaning [“without” or “no meaning”]. For me, it’s helpful to turn my mind off. I meditate for 30 minutes a day.
Q: How do you block out noise?
A: Breath is the main conscious focus if you have to have one. The idea is to observe that you are getting distracted but you don’t observe that there is distraction. They are inevitable but it is a good measuring device for being able to see how good your concentration is and to see how quickly you can catch yourself from being distracted.
Q: So you are accepting the distraction around you?
A: Exactly.
Q: How would you describe meditation in one word?
A: (John is silent and smiles, no response)
Q: Really? Well, that makes sense. I think that’s the perfect word for it. So tell me about Athens Insights and how it got started.
A: There were actually groups of people that met around Athens to do this sort of thing based on traditions such as Zen or yoga groups that do chants. We wanted something that was not necessarily a domination set in one particular tradition. Partially because we are not masters in training. We wanted it to be student-based and advertised in an academic setting as well as to the public community.
Q: And when and where do you guys meet to meditate?
A: We meet twice a week, one session is at Five Points Yoga Studio and the other is at Rubber Soles.
Q: Is there a difference in the atmosphere? And do you charge members to come?
A: Five Points Yoga has a different environment. The energy of that place is hotter since it is in an exercise atmosphere. Rubber Soles is completely the opposite. It has a calm energy. There are no dues since we are donation-based and donations go toward the studios.
Edited by Anita George
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
On Meditation: Q & A interview with John Hand, co-founder of Athens Insights
Labels:
Athens Insights,
Five Points Yoga Studio,
John Hand,
Meditation,
Rubber Soles,
Yoga,
Zen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice, conversational Q&A. An introductory paragraph might help get readers started. The story needs a lot more commas, especially at the top.
ReplyDelete